[csw-maintainers] One more topic for "Communication"

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 5 02:37:28 CET 2009

Chad Harp wrote:
> What if we move the mailing list(s) to google groups?
>
> We can regular mailing list functionality that way, but also has a
> forum interface (with rss), and it's searchable of course.
>

> On Feb 4, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Philip Brown wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:28:31AM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> as users@ has basically failed (almost no posts there) we should
>>> about
>>> a webforum. I know it is hard to track, but what gives us a tool that
>>> is easy to track but not used? For tracking it should be possible to
>>> mirror changes to a mailinglist.
>> I'm not sure that is a valid reference.
>> it was never that active. nor is the blastwave forum that active
>> either.
>>
>> On the flip side, I think perhaps it would be beneficial to allow
>> for both
>> web read/posting, AND mailing list.
>> There are assorted mailing-list-to-forum interfaces. How about we
>> enable
>> something like that, and thus AUGMENT, rather than replace, our
>> current
>> users mailing list?
>>
>> There are even various "outsourced" free solutions to this.
>> I think we already have one somewhere although we dont publicise it
>> enough.
>> There are also sites like "markmail" that we could use.

I think Google-groups or a similar application would be a good idea. In
addition to the features Chad Pointed out, it would free resources up on
the hardware we have.  Not that email servers take that many resources,
but forums can start to eat up the disk space quickly once you start
archiving.

- --
Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist