[csw-maintainers] Security alerts and updates

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Thu Feb 5 22:42:11 CET 2009

Hi

>> Should we set up a system to send security alerts ? a mailing list ? a
>> rss feed ?
> it's called "the announce list"

I'm not really sure it is "enough" from a user point of view. I think it
is important to find easily this kind of information on the web site for
a user.

Moreover, the channel we use to send information is not the only point.
It is easy to send the same announce to the list, to a blog (worpress
allow posting from smtp) and to a rss feed.

But... my question is (blaming no one don't worry) how long since we
last add a security announce on that list ?

In fact, i think this list is like user list. It need to brought back to
life.

The discussion, is also meant to make things clear for everyone, i am
certainly not the only one wondering about what is our process. We
should talk about this, write something simple about the way we do
function. If it is "the announce list", then fine, just write some
documentation about this and put it on the website.

My point is not necessarily to change it, but to make it clear for
users, to give them a easy access to this information. Some one who
comes to the site should find the security alerts or where are the
security alert in a minimal number of "mouse clicks" IMHO

cheers
W.