[csw-maintainers] One more topic for "Communication"

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 6 13:51:15 CET 2009

On 06/02/09, 11:03:59, William Bonnet <william at wbonnet.net> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] One more topic for "Communication":

> Hi Peter
> > And to complete the muppetish (viz. Statler and Waldorf) profile:
> > -1 for php based forums.
> >
> Including Java based forums ? ;)

> Is there some specific reasons for this ?

For me it's almost everything about web forums.

I have to go to a forum to see if there are any new messages, yes RSS
could provide notifications but it's not doing anything I didn't have
before with a mailing list and notification is typically slower.  I have
to note the message date to look for updates, one could use a cookie to
note last visit but they typically don't and that doesn't note if I've
read a message or keep a view state, viewing a thread shows the full
message in a overly spread out format with time wasting "features" like
gyrating avatars and how many faecesbook friends are currently online.
When a thread is spread over multiple pages it's not clear which page I
view to see unread messages (unread often span the last and penultimate
pages). I have to visit several forums to see all my messages (from
many unrelated projects), not just view one email account with multiple
mailboxes. Etc.

With email I can see unread, mark as read, "unread", mark with a flag,
delete, keep indefinitely, show threaded, save replies in the outbox,
save replies before sending, spell check, etc.

The only bad thing about email is the messages are delivered always (for
topics in which one has no interest or lack of time to ever read).  NNTP
covers this as one can download headers only and mark all as read.

James.