[csw-maintainers] [csw-devel] dynamically generated adm scripts

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 10 22:22:30 CET 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Feb 10 16:11:26 -0500 2009:
> > [Assumes you're not commenting specifically on the dumb example used to
> > show variable escaping and a general overview...]
>
> i was commenting specifically, on going through /tmp/, yes.

Ok.

> > If you want to say that version numbers shouldn't be in path names and
> > make that a CSW convention (maybe it already is?) that's fine.
>
> its a semi-convention. people are encouraged to remove numbers from
> documentation subdirs, for example.
>
> (/opt/csw/share/doc/progname, not progname-1.2.3)

Ok.

> > .  You'll note that rpm provides a built-in macro language that
> > is used for this type of task quite regularly.
>
> that's.... evil.

I disagree.  It makes maintenance of the scripts easier.  If you
already have something defined in one place, you're not duplicating
that work elsewhere.  You aren't forced to use the feature, but in
some cases, it might be handy.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.