[csw-maintainers] Thoughts on a CSW Java package

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Feb 16 09:16:52 CET 2009

Hi Mike,

Am 15.02.2009 um 18:25 schrieb Mike Watters:
> I was cruising through the packages on the web and noticed a bunch of
> packages for Java.  I was wondering if it would be prudent to create a
> CSWjava package we could compile and link against so as not to have to
> rely on users to download and install a compatible version.
>
> basically it would be more of a "re-package" then anything else.
> download the "shar" files from Java.sun.com, extract them in /opt/csw
> and package them into CSWjava32-rt CSWjava32-devel CSWjava64-rt
> CSWjava64-devel
>
> that way we could put dependencies on the java packages that require
> the
> CSW version.  It will make building the java dependent packages much
> easier.
>
> Thoughts?

As Phil said: this was discussed some time ago before you
joined :-) I made packages for jre and jdk 5 and 6 with
GAR and put them in testing/. As of today we are not allowed
to distribute them due to licensing restrictions. I am still
in contact with Sun about this. As workaround they offered
we could distribute OpenJDK instead, not really a replacement.

Feel free to test the packages in testing/, but don't
depend on them in official packages.