[csw-maintainers] java package comment

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 17 19:24:33 CET 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 17.02.2009 um 19:10 schrieb Philip Brown:
> BTW: since sun is being braindead about the java redistribution thing,
> i'd like to make a proposal;
>
> we previously had the concept generally agreed upon, that we would
> have a
> virtual package CSWjava, that would theoretically point to the most
> up to date package of "ours".
>
> Until such time as sun wakes up, i'd like to propose that we have an
> even
> more general case "CSWjava" package, that installs wrapper scripts to
> /opt/csw/bin/{java,jre}, and that auto-detects any installed java
> packages,
> and attempts to invoke the latest.
>
> and/or reads config files to override defaults and go with sysadmin
> preference of default.
>
> That way, we can have our java related packages depend on "java", and
> then have a "known" java runtime location, as much as possible.
> Dago, how about it?

Let's do it. However, my directory layout is slightly different
than your proposal:
   /opt/csw/java/jdk/latest
   /opt/csw/java/jre/latest
Then
   /opt/csw/bin/java could point to /opt/csw/java/jre/latest/bin/jre.
This would allow having the wrapper now and interpose my current but
illegal Java package later if this legal stuff is settled.