[csw-maintainers] .la discussion

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Feb 18 19:38:21 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 03:19:24PM +0100, Roger Håkansson wrote:
> So my final question is:
>
> Am I to release packages with or without .la-files if there are packages
> depending on my packages and the "current" package have .la-files?

depends if those packages actually "need" your .la files.

actually, the critical issue would be if
  package A uses libtool and .la files, , AND depends on
    package B, which uses libtool and .la files, AND depends on
      your package, which previously supplied .la files

If you removed yours, then package A recompilies would no longer work.
However, unless you are rebuilding a "core" library, this nested dependancy
is unlikely.
it is more likely that you are in a situation where

  package A uses libtool and .la files, , AND depends on
      your package, which previously supplied .la files

In this case, it is perfectly ok, becuase a future recompile of package A,
should figure out, "oh, there's no more .la file for that package, so
i'll do without one".

For imagemagick, just remove the .la files, since there's no nested
dependancy that I'm aware of.