[csw-maintainers] SUNWspro cc Libtool and "fast install" information.

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 20 20:16:06 CET 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:14:09AM -0600, Mike Watters wrote:
>> Philip Brown wrote:
>>> aha.. i think perhaps THIS is the one that enables or disables use of the
>>> -lsunmath library. but not 100% sure
>>>
>> yep,
>>
>> you would pass -xnolibmopt after -fast to turn it off.
>> This is appearently needed only for the solaris 8 sparc builds.  reading
>> changelog for solaris 10 they added a lot of the sunmath library to libm.
>
> So, to close the loop for other people:
>
> if you are compiling something on the "edge" of a dependancy tree, there's
> nothing particularly bad about skipping the -xnolibmopt for compiles, if
> you dont mind adding a dep on the sun math library.
>
> The issues come, when you are packaging up a LIBRARY... if it depends on
> -lsunmath, then everything else that uses that library, also has to link
> with -lsunmath, usually.
> So unless it provides a big performance boost, better to skip the -lsunmath
> dependancy.

yes and no, the dependency on lsunmath "should" only be for the library
linked with it.  that being said,  if your library depends on it, you
have to have it installed regardless.

the cross library dependencies are caused by libtool incorrectly linking
libraries with the dependency_libs line in the pseudo-libraries.

for "shared" libraries I still think removing the pseudo-libraries is
the best move.  but short of that...
if we could remove the dependency_libs= line from the la file. The files
will stay in tact for those apps that use them for versioning and allow
the linker to determine the correct library to link with on its own.

- --

Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist