[csw-maintainers] New in testing/: ncurses 5.7

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 8 14:06:50 CET 2009

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Am 02.01.2009 um 19:55 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:25:45PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>>> I finally managed to make a current ncurses 5.7 with full
>>> 64 bit for Sparc and x86. The legacy versions of the shared
>>> libraries which used to be in the previous package doesn't
>>> seemed to be used, so I dropped them. Feel free to give it
>>> a try, after release we can go on adding amd64 support to
>>> all the dependencies.
>> please test/fix the xterm issues on.. x86, i think it was?
>
> After reading the bug report I get the impression that the
> Solaris implementation of xterm is missing the necessary
> control character support. Modifying the xterm spec would
> be bad, as http://opencsw.org/packages/xterm supports the
> sequence.

Mhh, how then would you prevent issues as the one being described in the
bug report? If you leave the capabilities in the xterm terminfo file
provided with CSWncurses, applications linked against CSWncurses running
in a Solaris xterm are prone to mess up the display.

We could pull in CSWxterm as a dependency for applications linked
against CSWncurses, but even this wouldn't totally cut it as it is not
granted that a user then actually uses /opt/csw/bin/xterm.

You would need to make users aware of the fact that CSWxterm should be
used with CSWncurses applications ... unless they fancy a garbled
display of course. ;)

On the other hand: From what i have seen when i deleted the two
capabilities from the terminfo file, it doesn't matter to ncurses
applications whether the two affected capabilities are present or not.
ncurses just falls back to other capabilities for cursor positioning.

So why not just drop the capabilities?

Sebastian