[csw-maintainers] Press release, English translation

Othmar Wigger owigger at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 13 16:54:11 CET 2009

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> Othmar Wigger made a press release.
>> Dago, do yo still have the press release?
>
> Yes, but unfortunately it is in German and I am on training right
> now :-(
> Anyway, here it is, maybe someone can translate today:

This is my translation. A native English speaker should proofread it
before release!

Effretikon/Zurich

Members of the OpenCSW community met for the first time in the 7 year
history of the movement at a conference in Switzerland during the
week-end of December 6th. Also present was Philip Brown, the founding
father of the project. One important point on the agenda was OpenCSW's
legal reconstitution, because of last summer's breakup, which had
paralyzed the project during several months.

OpenCSW aims to provide ready-to-use free software for the Solaris
platform. It is renown for its ease of use and its consistent end-to-end
user experience. OpenCSW wants to be for Solaris what Ubuntu is for Linux.

To date it counts around 1600 software packages and two million users
worldwide. The packaging effort is carried out entirely by volunteers.
Usage is free.

The newly founded "Open Community Software" project (OpenCSW) is an
association under Swiss law. All previous contributors are welcome as
members. New package maintainers with the relevant skills are always
welcome, too. All members of this not-for-profit association work
without financial compensation. Its purpose is the continued
provisioning of the Solaris Operating Environment with packaged software
as a free, community based distribution.

The founding members elected Philip Brown, Ihsan Dogan, and Dagobert
Michelsen as members of the board.

links:
http://www.opencsw.org

pictures:
the OpenCSW board:
http://picasaweb.google.de/Othmar.Wigger/OpenCSW?feat=directlink#5277160178482290594

the founding association:
http://picasaweb.google.de/Othmar.Wigger/OpenCSW?feat=directlink#5277081573030645330
http://picasaweb.google.de/Othmar.Wigger/OpenCSW?feat=directlink#5277081589838559890

(I suggest somebody please copy these pictures to www.opencsw.org and
give them nicer URLs! Copyright for unlimited distribution is hereby
granted.)

Othmar