[csw-maintainers] libtool files (Subject changed from: [csw-buildfarm] Updating libgpg_error to 1.7 now)

Chad Harp harpchad at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 13 18:34:30 CET 2009

This latest libgpg_error build created some problems for my pidgin build.

/opt/csw/lib/libgpg-error.la is still referenced by:

/opt/csw/lib/libexslt.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgcrypt.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgnutls-extra.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgnutls-openssl.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgnutls.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgnutlsxx.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgpgme-pth.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgpgme-pthread.la
/opt/csw/lib/libgpgme.la

This isn't restricted to libgpg_error, I've been running into this with
other packages as well (the new libxml for example).  I agree that we
should be getting rid of the libtool files where possible, I'm just not
sure how to address all of the dependencies.  I've been using my own .la
files in order to do some test builds, but that's just a temporary hack.

Are there suggestion on how to deal with the legacy libtool files?

Also, is there a mechanism in gar to filter them?  I've been using
custom prototypes to exclude them, but it would be better if I could let
gar generate the prototype and filter the libtool files.

Thanks, Chad