[csw-maintainers] svn tags use and naming convention

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Fri Jan 16 12:20:14 CET 2009

Hi

> I would recommend using
>    tags/<pkg>-4.4.20,REV=2009.01.13
>
> That way you get a decent directory name when you only check out that
> tag.

Right

I am wondering if we should not even need something more precise and
complex.

It would be useful to be able to make a distinction in tags between
version used in testing, unstable and stable. For instance i can imagine
a process including steps from the  following list (not now but in a few
weeks or months).

The maintainer create its package, tags it and release it to testing
Then the "unstable catalog maker (aka Phil)" or whatever automatic
procedure provided by continuus integation, build it (optional ?), tags
it whith an "unstable" tag, and release it
Then the stable release manager tags include a given version of the
package in the stable release, and tags it.

Even if contents are sometime the same (by content i mean packge
creation scripts, etc.), the tags will have to be the same.

So what about

tags/<pkg>-4.4.20,REV=2009.01.13-<source>-<release-version>

source will be testing, unstable, or stable
release version will be a "version number of the release"

we can image that for stable it coulb be like REV=09/05 for stableversion release in May 2009, for unstable it could just be an incremental number in the year (ie week number), and for testing it can be up to he maintainer (sequential number, or beta1, beta2, etc. or default to 'sid' (still in development).

This may need different targets ? just to make it simple to use and prevent argument errors creating a wrong tag

> You must still commit this, of course.

Thanks :)

cheers

--