[csw-maintainers] Thematics month proposal

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Fri Jan 16 12:27:10 CET 2009

Dagobert Michelsen a écrit :
> Hi Peter,
>
> Am 16.01.2009 um 10:20 schrieb Peter Bonivart:
>
>> Great idea! But how about starting with all the stuff in the agenda
>> for the IRL meeting? If I'm correct, almost all of it was skipped due
>> to time constraints but it's important and it's very quiet about it
>> now.
>>
>> http://wiki.opencsw.org/irl-meeting
>>

> Yes, that was skipped, but as I browse the list a lot of it
> is already in progress. However, Williams' propositions go more
> into the direction of enhancing the quality of packages
> directly instead of tuning the process (which also should lead
> to better quality btw).

Peter is right, this point have to be processed. But i think improving
the process should be a background task. It is easier to gather some
people to work on a specific more technical point, like moving packages
to GAR or creating new packages, than to focus effort on the process
improvement. Moreover, doing this, will make things easier for people
having less time to contribute.

But ... process is not forgotten :)

If we want to setup this thematics agenda, some people will have to work
on advance on the process. Each coming theme will raise discussion about
the process improvement (what is missing, out dated, which documentation
is missing etc.). This will have certainly to be done during the month
before the theme (that's also why i propose to start by commnication,
there is no process prerequisite).

Running a "thematic event" can go through simple steps like :
. week one we talk about what has to be done,
. week 2 and 3 people work on different task, according to their free time,
. week 4 everyone work is integrated, commited, tested and published

That's just a general process. It will have to be tuned to fit the real
life and may chance according to the subjects

cheers
W.

--
William                  http://www.wbonnet.net