[csw-maintainers] Thematics month proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Jan 18 22:56:02 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:34:38PM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
>  From what I can tell the major point WRT to the release process is
> getting every rule written down or put into code as a part of chkpkg.

And that is intrinsically impossible. It is impossible to write down
EVERYTHING, just as it is impossible to write a computer program to
automatically write any new computer program you want.
It's impossible to code checkpkg to cover "everything".
It's a little easier to write down descriptions of what
things not covered by checkpkg should look like. But there will always
be exceptoins.
At some point, there always comes a need for a human being to make a
decision of "yes this is acceptible/no this is not".
Peter seems to want to completely eliminate any human inspection of
packages.
I say that this is not possible. Given that I have been inspecting
packages for 6 years now, I hope that the majority of people will trust
my experience on this.

I'll agree there is some room for improvement, though.