[csw-maintainers] Thematics month proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Jan 18 23:03:53 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:59:25PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 18.01.2009 um 22:56 schrieb Philip Brown:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:34:38PM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> >> From what I can tell the major point WRT to the release process is
> >> getting every rule written down or put into code as a part of chkpkg.
> >
> > I say that this is not possible. Given that I have been inspecting
> > packages for 6 years now, I hope that the majority of people will
> > trust
> > my experience on this.
>
> That's why Trygve said "written down" *or* "put into code" :-)
> The rules just shouldn't be arbitrary.

you trimmed too much :-)
I tried to convey that we can reasonably cover, lets say, 80% of cases
through checkpkg, and 95% of cases via "written down", but there's always
going to be a grey area left.
Either that, or our "standards documentation" will become so ludicrously
large, that it will become effectively USELESS.

There *is* such a thing as "too much information", sometimes :-} Once a doc
reaches a certain size, people stop reading it entirely. It's at that point
already for some people.