[csw-maintainers] The release process: a write-up

Murray.Jensen at csiro.au Murray.Jensen at csiro.au
Mon Jan 19 12:36:51 CET 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:11:55 +1100, Peter Bonivart writes:
>What I have suggested, not that you seem to care what I actually say
>when replying, is that I want a group of people handling the release
>process. We shouldn't e-mail your personal address and be kept in the
>dark until you decide to reply.
>
>What you have against a web app for tracking the testing/release
>process baffles me. We could create a ticket there, mark our testing
>already done, others can check in their testing of the package, the
>release group can assign the packet to one of them and the rest will
>know that. Not only will maintainers know better what is and is not
>happening with their packages, I think it will encourage testing as
>well.

While I am uncomfortable with the antagonistic way that Peter expresses
himself towards you all the time Phil, this approach seems reasonable
to me. I have a vague recollection of suggesting something similar myself
in the past during the "split". I don't see it as a burning issue though,
just something that should be worked towards. We should at least talk
about it, and maybe see if anyone can put the time in to develop this
"web app". Shouldn't be too difficult with modern technology :-) Cheers!
								Murray...