[csw-maintainers] package hooks (update)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 2 22:02:56 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jul 02 15:39:50 -0400 2009:
> Sigh. failure to communicate here.

I think so.

> http://wiki.opencsw.org/package-hooks

> The general format of a hook script location, would seem to be
> /etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/DIRECTORY/script-goes-here
> but you have not explicitly defined the acceptible values for
> DIRECTORY.

> You've given a few examples. But you have not explicitly mapped out the
> full space.

Not in terms of a specific list, no, but I have given the hook names,
noted that there is a pre and post for each hook and specified the
name format for the directories.

...Ok, the wiki now contains a _complete_, _explicit_ list of valid
hooks and the corresponding directories.

> you have not defined which DIRECTORY names should be used for per-package,
> vs "batch" hooks, for example.

Again, the grouping isn't important in any way other than the type of
argument passed.  Batch hooks get a file name, per-package hooks get a
package name.  Other than that, they all live happily in
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks.  For reference, in case it's still not clear,
these directories would be:

/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/prebatchadd.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/postbatchadd.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/prebatchremove.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/postbatchremove.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/preinstall.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/postinstall.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/preupdate .d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/postupdate.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/preremove.d/
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/postremove.d/

I have also noted on the wiki that the only difference between batch
and per-package is the argument type.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.