[csw-maintainers] libpango 1.24 Problems ?

Nicolai Schwindt schwindt at dfki.uni-kl.de
Fri Jul 3 15:04:33 CEST 2009

[...]
> You can try this right now with
>    rm /opt/csw/bin/pango-querymodules
>    ln -s /opt/csw/bin/sparcv8/pango-querymodules /opt/csw/bin/pango-
> querymodules
> Please tell me if that worked.

I basically did that and it worked.

[...]
> Is this really necessary on a per-app basis? Can't this be patched
> into pango itself?

If pango was done better, there was an option for i.e.
PANGO_MODULES_PATH_{32,64}
which could point to /opt/csw/lib or /opt/csw/lib/64. There it could read
pango.modules only containing filename like pango-indic-lang.so not the
absolute
path. But this would leed to the necessity of pango knowing if it is 32/64 bit.

The main problem  is pango is needing its pango.modules and does not honor in
any kind
the architecture. pango32 and pango64 will basically open the same file.
In my case it meens, to be able to use xcfe which is 32-bit I generated
pango.modules
by hand to contain only the 32-bit modules. Anything which now tries to use
pango64 will
get into trouble.

This flaw gets other packagers in trouble also.

Nicolai