[csw-maintainers] [csw-users] Munin 1.3.4 in testing

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Jul 7 05:54:11 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jul 06 23:08:13 -0400 2009:
> >> files be placed? Already in /opt/csw/apache2/etc/extra ?
> >
> > I would suggest /etc/opt/csw/munin/apache.conf and
> > /etc/opt/csw/munin/apache-cgi.conf
>
> i would disagree.
> these files are supposed to be read-only. so they are fine for /opt/csw
> somewhere, and actually much better off there.

...But they are part of the apache configuration, so it would make
sense to group them logically with the rest of the apache
configuration.  Personally though, I like the way debian does this.

An example: I pulled squirrelmail onto a box tonight (as a quick
example, phpmyadmin is another).  It added
/etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf.  The README.Debian.gz states:

Apache
======

If you want to use squirrelmail with apache, it is recommended to
modify /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf to your own wishes, and then add
a symlink to that file from /etc/apache{,-ssl,-perl,2}/conf.d, like:

 $ ln -s /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf
 /etc/apache2/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf

Alternatively, you could also 'Include' the configuration file in the
relevant apache configuration file(s)

The phpmyadmin package has a similarly worded README.Debian file.

It's configuration, whether commonly edited or not, so it should go in
etc somewhere.  Debian has a really nice apache setup and 'add on'
integration.  We follow their lead in other ways, why not here too?

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.