[csw-maintainers] "pkgconfig --exist ..." is telling porkies

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 9 23:27:35 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 07.07.2009 um 22:22 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 03:01:14PM -0500, Mike Watters wrote:
>>> Which package needs the bug report?  Gtk+-2.0, cairo, xcb or
>>> pkgconfig?
>>
>> xcb and in fact all the "new" xlib packages have their
>> PKG_CONFIG_PATH as
>> /opt/csw/X11/lib/pkgconfig
>>
>> when doing anything that requires CSWx* packages you need to use
>> something
>> along the lines of: EXTRA_PKG_CONFIG_DIRS = $(prefix)/X11/lib
>
> idealy though... our cairo package should "do the right thing"
> somehow, in
> my opinion.
> after all, that's what pkg-config is for.. to take all the by-hand
> messiness out of compiling?

Yes, but you must tell pkg-config which libraries to use. pkg-config
is for setting flags, not finding the libs.

> I dont know much about pkg-config, but might there be some kind of,
> "and hey add /opt/csw/X11/lib to PKG_CONFIG_PATH now" magic, you can
> put in
> /opt/csw/lib/pkgconfig/cairo.pc  or something?

AFAIK this option is not available.

> or... maybe the issue is that /opt/csw/lib/pkgconfig/cairo.pc
> should not exist there in the first place, but be moved
> to /opt/csw/lib/X11/lib/pkgconfig/   instead?

It is just for development. Using pkg-config this way allows specific
binding to either the OpenCSW X11 libs or Sun X11 libs with gtk+ on
compilation. This separation was intended when we introduced /opt/csw/
X11.
Is this case, however, it is not useful. As it is only relevant in
compilation and integration is well understood and easy in both manual
and GAR builds it shouldn't do too much harm, though.