[csw-maintainers] Jumpstart post-install recipe for OpenCSW

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sun Jul 12 16:17:54 CEST 2009

Hi Darin,

Darin Perusich wrote:
> Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>> does someone have a working "install me some OpenCSW packages" Jumpstart
>> post-install snippet that he could pass to me? I am in the process of
>> setting up my first Jumpstart server and i would like to have it install a
>> list of CSW pkgs after setting up the machine.
>
> I attached my CSW package installation script. It's nothing fancy but
> get the job done for me.
>
>> Is this known to work with the various postinstall scripts (or cswinitsmf)
>> that we have in the packages?
>>
>> And out of curiosity: What are the specifics to watch out for so that a
>> postinstall script will work in a Jumpstart environment, just
>> $PKG_INSTALL_ROOT [1] or are there any other caveats that pop up
>> frequently?
>
> If you chroot the package installation you don't need to worry about
> $PKG_INSTALL_ROOT being set. I use chroot to install everything except
> pkg-get and I've never had a problem. Granted I only install a small
> number of package, sudo, amanda, etc, and build the servers out
> afterwards. If it's a machine I need to make a ton of clones of I set it
> up and create flash images of anyways.

thanks for posting this, I finally had some time to further work on our
Jumpstart setup.

I found it easiest to use JET [1] and custom_scripts_n, so that post
installation scripts like this are run after the final system boot. The
system is then fully functional and there is no need to mess around with
PKG_INSTALL_ROOT or similar. :) Easy.

The adapted version of your script is attached. Thanks again.

Sebastian

[1] http://wikis.sun.com/display/JET/Home