[csw-maintainers] Call for volunteer : xpdf

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Wed Jul 15 22:25:59 CEST 2009

Hi

> Not yet :( I'll give a look to this issue tonight. I was focused on
> firefox compilation issues so far...
1/ Good news is that it seems to be fixed !

2/ Bad news is that i could have done it earlier... many many thanks to
Sebastian for reminding me to process this important bug. After
analyzing the bug, it was a real 'showstopper' i did not identified when
it was reported.

3/ Really bad news is that the CSWdbus package that is available in
"current" cannot be uninstalled in "normal mode" :( It means, it cannot
be updated without a manual step... I do apologize for that... (and i do
feel Phil's feet coming closer and closer from my back).

So what does this means :

I made a simple fix and updated the following packages : CSWdbus,
CSWlibdbus and CSWlibdbusdev. The only package which have a real problem
is CSWdbus. The update i made seems to fix the problem on my boxes at
home. But it would appreciate to have some more feedbacks. Just to be
sure i have fixed all the issues, in all possible way to make it occur.

The bug Sebastian outlined today is a related to dbus service stop. In
most of the time it will fail. And it will fail 99.9% of the time during
an update (either from pkg-get or pkgutil).  Current dbus is generating
a pid "lock file" in /opt/csw/var/run/dbus/pid . This pid file is not
processed correctly during service stop (and uninstall), and dbus will
not stop.

I have updated packages and they are now available from testing. As i
said, i was able to reproduce the problem before update and not after,
but i would appreciate some more feedbacks.

If you plan to install update from testing you will have to kill by hand
dbus process. dbus pid is stored in /opt/csw/var/run/dbus/pid . But
unfortunately it is ignored by stop (or uninstall) script. So you just
have to :

kill -9 `cat /opt/csw/var/run/dbus/pid`

before updating.

This has to be announced on thge user  list before any release. Phil, i
do apologize for this, and please tell me the procedure i have to follow
to announce it, if i am the one to announce it.

cheers
W.

--
William                  http://www.wbonnet.net