[csw-maintainers] cswclassutils

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 16 18:21:15 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Thu Jul 16 11:51:57 -0400 2009:

> Reducing the payload is not, in my opinion, a sufficient reason.

I thought that payload reduction in addition to a standard method for
packaging was a good enough win.

Not all packages that provide .el files provide a make target to
transform them to .elc (or even install them at all, for that matter).
With these scripts, the maintainer at most has to ensure that the .el
files are part of the package...I'm planning to extend GAR to do the
prototype and dependency stuff automatically (similar to how
cswpycompile will be integrated).[1]

I prefer to have the .el version around for reading, but that's partly
due to me being a relatively new emacs user and wanting to see how
things are done.  Having to pull in a separate package to get the
source files would work for me, but it wouldn't be as nice.

If your approach is preferred, I'll revert my commit.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] Only if it's decided this is useful.  I assumed it was, but...

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.