[csw-maintainers] GAR RFE: Variable(s) to tag files for classes instead of PROTOTYPE_FILTER

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 22 03:53:46 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Tue Jul 21 03:43:53 -0400 2009:

> Python files. It would IMHO be better to read the path in the class
> script and compile what it got, but as I understand it that was too
> slow.

Ok, having now read (more carefully) i.cswpycompile, I wonder if there
is a compromise that could be reached.  It seems to me that if the
class action script collected a set of directories (using `dirname
$dst`) it could then call compileall.py for each directory.

Mike, since you wrote this, what are your thoughts on that?  I ask
because I don't think writing generic pax rules for relocating .py
files into the standard location is either easy or wise in some cases.
Think of a package with the location of a .py file (or files) hard
coded somewhere after ./configure.  I'm sure that's an edge case
but...

If Mike doesn't think compileall.py per dir is feasible, I'd suggest
that we limit this 'automatic' functionality to things already in the
proper directory.  This would leave the maintainer to handle the
relocation however they'd like.  Alternately we could provide a knob
for users to specify pax rules in a more generic fashion.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.