[csw-maintainers] Subversion on bender

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jul 24 21:46:30 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 03:18:40PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> I'm now requesting access to the web content also.  I'm going to
> re-factor all php files [...]

Wonderful!  welcome to the web team :-)

>  such that database connection info is stored
> only in a single place, thus facilitating the possibility of storing
> this code in a non-local (read: not live) repository in the future[2]
> with the db details excluded for security purposes.

the trouble with that, is that it affects performance.

> [2] I'd be happy to check into SCCS for the time being as long as some
>     instructions are provided.

sccs is about the same as any other local-store version control system.
(or others, even)
usual semmantics of that sort of thing are:

0. initialize a file
1. check out a file
2. check in a file
3. compare a file.

So,

0. sccs create XYZ
1. sccs edit XYZ
2. sccs delget XYZ  (sends for "delta, then get", if you care ;-)
3. sccs diffs XYZ

there's a few other interesting features of it, but them's the basics.