[csw-maintainers] Updated libiconv in testing, testing appreciated

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sat Jul 25 01:40:39 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:03:28PM +0200, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>> I know that the package and software name differ (iconv vs. libiconv),
>> but that is not something i would want to change now (given that many
>> dependent packages).
>
> Umm... if you're going to be repackaging anyway... then why not repackage
> now, and have it tested as such?

Ok, updated packages in testing. iconv (CSWiconv) has now be changed to
be an empty package (besides README.CSW and license) that pulls in
libiconv and libiconv_devel as dependencies. libiconv (CSWlibiconv) is
the package that one would want and the naming is consistent.

Is that along the lines of what you had in mind?

Only minor annoyance i see right now is that if I issue an "pkgutil -u
iconv" (pkgutil 1.6) against testing on a current box, the two new
packages are pulled in and libiconv is installed first (before updating
iconv to the empty package). pkgadd complains about files being used by
another package and prompts the user. OTOH, as libiconv is a dependency
of iconv, this installation order makes sense to me. Could this be a
problem somehow?

pkg-get (4.1.2) updates iconv first, so no prompts to the user there
(didn't test with 4.2.1 though).

Sebastian