[csw-maintainers] Buildbot

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 31 13:15:42 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Peter FELECAN<pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> "Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

>>> -1 as it defeats the purpose; in addition, there is no night for an
>>>   international community as ours...
>>
>> Automatic builds for some packages are better than automatic builds
>> for no packages, so it doesn't defeat the purpose completely. Also, we
>> could do actual measurements: how big is the impact on the
>> performance?
>
> Maybe. But not on the effective build stack, please.

Where are large packages currently built? I thought that all packages
must be built on the buildfarm. Next time there's an on-going
compilation of a large package, we can do the measurements.

>>> All my packages are outside gar. The source code comes from my home
>>> directory...
>>
>> How would you make your source code available to buildbot?
>
> By pointing it to my home directory on the build stack...

Buildbot has plugins for Subversion, Perforce, Arch, Bazaar, Darcs,
Mercurial and Git. Do you use any of these for your source code?

Buildbot needs essentially three things:

1. Build master needs a way to learn about an update to specific
project or branch
2. Build slaves need a way to obtain the source code
3. Build slaves need instructions to build the package

Number 1 could be done by... I don't know... making md5 sums of
specific files in your home directory? Number 2 would be a file copy
operation. Number 3 would be provided by you. Do your builds have a
uniform build procedure?

The GAR packages will be the main focus now, since they comprise about
91% builds (that I know of, that is, ~1083 out of ~1186). Once we're
there, we can extend support to other build sources. Of course, it
would make it easier to implement if a code repository was available
to buildbot.