[csw-maintainers] Buildbot

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jul 31 23:55:13 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 05:20:33PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> > I think this is making it too complicated.
> > It needs to be *simple*,for most widespread use.
>
> Ok, as long as there is some sort of convention where automated files
> could expect to find their outputs.

There is no need for that. I think that's overengineering.
There is only one set of "outputs" actually *needed* for the simplified
API,and that is "where do the packages go?"

Similarly, i think that there is no need for variables like "where do I do
builds",because the reasonable assumption would be "in the current
directory".

> Are you suggesting that a build step separate from package is also too
> much though?  I think that is an important distinction, but arguments
> to the contrary are welcome.

I wasnt suggesting that originally. But I think perhaps having two steps
there, is also unneccessary.
Even in the case where there is some need to tweak something silly like the
pkginfo file... a good "build system" should run the (compilephase)build,
but then automatically detect there is nothing that needs recompiling.
So putting together the new package, with the updated pkginfo file, should
be relatively speedy.