[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] findutils and its database on the farm

Chris Reece car at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 4 08:49:09 CEST 2009

On Tue, June 2, 2009 9:05 pm, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
> Could you tell us, what exactly you were missing about the documentation
> so that we can improve on it? Any feedback appreciated (off-list is also fine
> if you prefer to).

Specifically, no.  I recall being daunted by finding three versions of GAR,
none of which appeared to have a full set of GAR newbie documentation.  I
found a "Getting started with GAR" document that, depending on which link I
followed to it, from where: was not found; contained a page blank except for
"redirect"; or was there, but was listed under some manner of "this is for an
older GAR -- here be dragons" warning.

I was in a hurry, may have missed something and, believe me, I know what it's
like to not have enough hours in the day.  Documentation's no damned fun.

Your suggestion of hand-holding to en-GAR findutils sounds like a fine idea,
if you've the time.  I'd rather put these things in a format that they'll be
useful, for what that's worth.

But if I am just being dense, feel free to point me at the docs that you know
tell me everything I need and tell me to RTFM.

> Just installed it on an i386 box, looks mostly good to me, just two
> minor suggestions:
>
> * Could you please use /var/opt/csw instead of /opt/csw/var
> This has been changed a while ago http://opencsw.org/standards/layout

I considered this, and thought better of it because I was worried about people
upgrading from the current (!) and previous versions, that put locatedb in
/opt/csw/var.  But, thinking about it now, it's as simple as testing for the
presence of the old file at install time and moving it.  I'll do that.

> * The R*PATH contains /opt/csw/lib twice. It doesn't really hurt to have
> it in there, just for the sake of standardization.

> /opt/csw/bin# dump -Lv glocate | grep R*PATH
> [5]     RUNPATH         /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib
> [6]     RPATH           /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib

I set LD_OPTIONS as per OpenCSW documentation, like so:

LD_OPTIONS='-R/opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST -R/opt/csw/lib -L/opt/csw/lib'

I wondered if I'd done something silly like forgotten that I'd set LDFLAGS
too, but a clean build just now repeats the error, even before it's staged:

-bash-4.0$ dump -Lv locate/locate | grep R*PATH
[5]     RUNPATH         /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib
[6]     RPATH           /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib

Environment looks like this:

CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/csw/include
LD_OPTIONS=-R/opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST -R/opt/csw/lib -L/opt/csw/lib
PATH=/opt/studio/SOS11/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/csw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/ucb
MAKE=gmake
CFLAGS=-fast -xarch=v8 -xnolibmopt
CC=cc

If I set:

LD_OPTIONS='-R/opt/csw/lib -L/opt/csw/lib'

as I used to do, then I get:

[5]     RUNPATH         /opt/csw/lib
[6]     RPATH           /opt/csw/lib

If I set:

LD_OPTIONS='-R/opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST -L/opt/csw/lib'

I get:

-bash-4.0$ dump -Lv locate/locate | grep R*PATH
[5]     RUNPATH         /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib
[6]     RPATH           /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib

which I assume is what we're aiming for.

> Are you, Chris?

Not at all.  Sorry.

Cheers,

Chris.