[csw-maintainers] Jumpstart post-install recipe for OpenCSW

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Fri Jun 5 19:01:15 CEST 2009

Sebastian Kayser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does someone have a working "install me some OpenCSW packages" Jumpstart
> post-install snippet that he could pass to me? I am in the process of
> setting up my first Jumpstart server and i would like to have it install a
> list of CSW pkgs after setting up the machine.

I attached my CSW package installation script. It's nothing fancy but
get the job done for me.

> Is this known to work with the various postinstall scripts (or cswinitsmf)
> that we have in the packages?
>
> And out of curiosity: What are the specifics to watch out for so that a
> postinstall script will work in a Jumpstart environment, just
> $PKG_INSTALL_ROOT [1] or are there any other caveats that pop up
> frequently?

If you chroot the package installation you don't need to worry about
$PKG_INSTALL_ROOT being set. I use chroot to install everything except
pkg-get and I've never had a problem. Granted I only install a small
number of package, sudo, amanda, etc, and build the servers out
afterwards. If it's a machine I need to make a ton of clones of I set it
up and create flash images of anyways.

The biggest issues I've come across was pre/post scripts which ask
questions and wait for a response. Kind of defeats the purpose of hands
off installs right. I haven't run across this in years but I wanted to
mention it as something to watch out for.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Email: darinper at cognigencorp.com