[csw-maintainers] Exim and SMF

Ross Macduff rmacduff at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 12 18:32:08 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Jun 12 12:20:44 -0400 2009:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:10:08PM -0400, Ross Macduff wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > During a recent install of Exim on a Solaris 10 box it was noticed that
> > the postinstall script doesn't register it with SMF.  It looks like this
> > is because we have autoenable_deamons set to 0 in our csw.conf.  It
> > would be nice to have it register the service, yet leave it disabled.
> >

> Ummmm.. out of curiosity.. WHY would that be nice?

Perhaps it isn't desirable to have it start up right after installing
it, yet you don't want to go through the steps necessary to register it
with SMF (I know it's only one step...).  That way, it is only a matter
of enabling it when it's ready to go.

It seems that cswclassutils has this type of behaviour in mind based on
what I read here:
http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils-package#toc3

So if use_smf isn't set to 'no' and  autoenable_daemons is set to 'no',
then it won't start but is ready to be enabled.

Best,
Ross