[csw-maintainers] versioning /etc

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Jun 15 21:31:35 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jun 15 14:52:34 -0400 2009:

> > It goes beyond CSW packages, to everything that lives in /etc.
>
> And that sounds... like a lot of work.
> At a very high level, do you have architectural suggestions as to how this
> sort of integration would function?

It actually shouldn't be that bad.  My suggestion would be the tried
and true .d directory.  I'd suggest something like:

/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/pre.d
/etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/post.d

(no difference between -i and -u is required, I don't think).

pkg-get/pkgutil would then do:

---> before doing work

cd /etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/pre.d/
for f in *; do
    [ -x $f ] && ./$f
done

---> after doing work

cd /etc/opt/csw/pkg-hooks/post.d/
for f in *; do
    [ -x $f ] && ./$f
done

An alternate sort order could be applied if required...this is just a
simplistic approach.

There could (possibly) be a user settable option in csw.conf as to how
non-zero exits would be handled, thus allowing for various hooks to
prevent a run if some trigger is detected, etc.

Then, etckeeper (just as an example) would, as part of it's package,
drop a file named 01-etckeeper in pkg-hooks/pre.d/ with a script like:

#!/bin/sh

/opt/csw/bin/etckeeper preinstall

A similar post install hook would be placed in post.d.

How does that sound?

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.