[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Jun 17 00:08:56 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:31:59PM +0200, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>> Our file layout standards page [1] says that machine-specific files
>> should go to /etc/opt/csw, but even i as a maintainer sometimes find it
>> difficult to decide whether to place them there or not.
>
> when in doubt, discuss it on the maintainers list.
>
>>  Furthermore IIRC
>> there have been discussions on the list about issues with sparse zone
>> installations and configuration files beneath /opt.
>
> they should be treated pretty much in the same way as if /opt was NFS-shared
> between separate hosts.
>
> Sometimes, it is DESIRABLE to have the configs globally in /opt/csw/etc.

Does "desirable" go hand in hand with the core notion of this thread to
change the default $(sysconfdir) to /etc/opt/csw? Have all configuration
files in /etc/opt/csw eventually unless a maintainer decides otherwise
for his packages?

> Ideally, a program could be configured to first chec /opt/csw/etc, and then
> override with any local configs in /etc/opt/csw

Ok, this is easy for daemons via their init scripts. Not so easy for
most other programs. They read one config file location and usually a
dot file.

> But if not, then it's up to the maintainer to decide.

And this leaves the user at the point that i mentioned initially. "Mhh,
there are configuration files in two places. Where is the one for
package foo located?". Not one of my top concerns right now, just
something that i have observed and wanted to share while we are talking
about configuration file locations. Sure, they can look it up, but it
lends itself to confusion.

Sebastian