[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 18 19:21:41 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jun 18 12:46:51 -0400 2009:
> For people with a shared /opt (whether that be NFS or zones), the same
> issues still come into play. the issue of, "should configuration for
> software X, be unique to each box, or globally shared?"
>
> You dont see to address that type of issue at all.

I think that's driven by the software, not the packaging.  While some
things (eg: sudo) allow for a single, globally shared configuration
and other things (eg: apache) can use includes to share a global
template exist, many packages don't offer this flexibility outside of
environment variables or other hacks.

For the people doing nfs/zone sharing of /opt/csw, how are local
configurations being handled presently?  Something like apache is
simple to handle, but other things aren't as easy.  It seems like
reconciling some of these things would only work if the software
allowed for config1 -> global, config2 -> local (as Phil mentioned
previously)...I haven't seen much of that though.

Even if this were to be handled by some packages, I'd vote for
/etc/opt/csw/$foo and /etc/opt/csw/global/$foo.  If we have
/etc/opt/csw at all, that means machine local or a second mount of
some sort anyway, so why not go all the way?

> Personally, I think /etc/opt/VENDOR makes a lot of sense.
> I also think that, in the rare cases global configs are desired
> (and it really is quite rare) /opt/csw/etc makes sense for those
> also.

Can you point out one of these rare cases so that we have a good
example for discussion?  I think sudo is (possibly) a good choice, but
only because it _can_ be global, not because it typically is (at least
in my experience).

> I think we should have the discussion on the maintainers list first,
> to pre-air out any controversial issues.  A fully public, large
> sized mailing list, is never a good place to have initial
> "exploratory" type technical discussions. Better to distill the core
> issues first.

Ok.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.