[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Jun 18 19:35:16 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:21:41PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jun 18 12:46:51 -0400 2009:
> > For people with a shared /opt (whether that be NFS or zones), the same
> > issues still come into play. the issue of, "should configuration for
> > software X, be unique to each box, or globally shared?"
>
> I think that's driven by the software, not the packaging.

i agree.

> Even if this were to be handled by some packages, I'd vote for
> /etc/opt/csw/$foo and /etc/opt/csw/global/$foo.

anything in /etc, is by definition, NOT global :-}
"global/shared" stuff, is under /opt/csw.
Whether that be because it is NFS-shared, or lofs-shared across zones.

> Can you point out one of these rare cases so that we have a good
> example for discussion?  I think sudo is (possibly) a good choice, but
> only because it _can_ be global, not because it typically is (at least
> in my experience).

Funnily enough, at my place of work, the sudo config is indeed
a global one across all machines. however, it is replicated out :-)

I'm not sure of many "global-only config" examples.
I can think of one or two good "global AND local" examples.
For example... pkg-get :-)

I think generally, examples of things that benefit from a global
configuration, are things that are commonly used by users, and just dont
work right without a detailed etc file.
For example, netpbm?
or xpdf?
It is not likely that there will be any machine-local configuration tweaks
needed. It is quite likely that a site-wide configuration is the best style
of config, for those type of things.

Or to put it another way, things that get some kind of conf file installed
at pkgadd time, and the user will probably never bother to change, because
the config is just so standard.

Another example, might be mailcap files.