[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 19 01:30:55 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jun 18 13:35:16 -0400 2009:

> > Even if this were to be handled by some packages, I'd vote for
> > /etc/opt/csw/$foo and /etc/opt/csw/global/$foo.
>
> anything in /etc, is by definition, NOT global :-} "global/shared"
> stuff, is under /opt/csw.  Whether that be because it is NFS-shared,
> or lofs-shared across zones.

Ok, but if we're already in the position of straddling shared vs
non-shared, which presumably sees the nfs/zones people need to make
arrangements for sharing the things living in /etc already, why not go
all the way?

> Funnily enough, at my place of work, the sudo config is indeed a
> global one across all machines. however, it is replicated out :-)

We'd use cfengine for this task too.

> I'm not sure of many "global-only config" examples.  I can think of
> one or two good "global AND local" examples.  For example... pkg-get
> :-)

I think it's safe to say that not many software authors make this
consideration...nor should they be expected to, imo.  Maybe the
emergence of zones changes the game some, but nfs sharing of software
volumes must be on the decline by now?

> Or to put it another way, things that get some kind of conf file
> installed at pkgadd time, and the user will probably never bother to
> change, because the config is just so standard.

Again though, if we already have /etc/opt/csw in use, why not go all
the way?  I understand that things that never need to be fiddled with
_could_ live in /opt/csw/etc, but since the local version exists and
will cause problems (presumably) for the nfs/zones people, solving it
for all packages should be the same work as solving it for half the
packages.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.