[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 19 02:40:15 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jun 18 19:49:07 -0400 2009:

Ok, let me try to rephrase too.  I agree with your points, but I still
think a single etc is the way to go.

People sharing /opt/csw are going to need to handle configuration
differently than others with everything local to the machine (where
local means not nfs shared and if in a zone, a non-sparse zone).

If the config is in /opt/csw/etc and they need it customized per nfs
client (or zone), they'll be symlinking it to somewhere on the box or
mounting another directory onto /opt/csw/etc.  This means that every
box using packages from /opt/csw will be required to have this config
maintained locally somehow.

Also, because some packages installed on the host for /opt/csw have
placed config files in /etc/opt/csw, they'll be symlinking the client
/etc/opt/csw to some location in the share, rsyncing it from the host,
or otherwise taking additional care to make sure all clients have the
required files.

IOW, they're making accommodations in _both_ directions, ignoring the
sites that only shove a few gnu tools or something onto a share.

Not to ignore your point about site standard, glacially changing
files...For sites not sharing their /opt/csw, this is moot.  It
doesn't matter where they live, so it might as well be /etc/opt/csw.
For sites that are sharing, I think (hope?) that I've demonstrated
that they're already doing extra work anyway, so xpdf.conf and the
like wouldn't add burden.

Does that make more sense?  I think we mostly agree, we're just not
seeing eye-to-eye on small semantic points.

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.