[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 19 19:11:10 CEST 2009

> There is a missing piece here.
> Site that share out /opt/csw, tend to do it for things that are easily
> sharable.
> things like
>  xpdf
>  **firefox**
>
> You want firefox to have all its default configs in /etc? Individually?
> For every machine?
>
> I dooont think sooo....
> You want global configs for a beast like that.

Firefox is a different beast, and by default does not store anything in *etc*
the global configs for firefox are stored in .*/share and the "local configs"
are stored in the user's home directory under .mozilla

I would say that firefox is not an issue in sharing /opt.

Software like xpdf, I don't think it matters where the configs are located
since they normally don't change.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
the whole problem here, I believe, is how do we make CSW packages respect both
local configs and global configs without hacking up every piece of software we
package.  or how do we tell the users to change their sharing schema to allow
the same locations across the board.

The easiest but least optimal solution I believe is to put everything in
/opt/csw/ and link anything back to /etc that needs to be there... i.e. init
scripts on solaris 8/9.

for smf, /opt/csw/var/manifest and /opt/csw/var/methods

This would solve the issue, although I reiterate this is not the best solution,
but I am not sure there is a "best solution" with this problem.

- --

Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist