[csw-maintainers] Debugging with Sun Studio and mGAR

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Jun 24 21:36:43 CEST 2009

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
> I'm currently working on debugging an issue with cups-polld. At the
> present stage, I'm about to learn how to build all the binaries with
> debugging symbols and run them under the control of Sun Studio.

I guess it doesn't fully cover your answer, but regarding GAR, you can set
GARFLAVOR to DBG if you want your binaries built with debugging symbols.
This will also skip the step where GAR strips all the binaries. See [1].

Of course this requires your program to honour CFLAGS correctly, because
that is what GARFLAVOR changes. I used it to build packages that i wanted
to debug with dbx later on (for example because i had seen crashes).

Sebastian

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/GAR%20Variable%20Reference#CompilationSettings