[csw-maintainers] Minor web site change?

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 25 11:16:59 CEST 2009

On 25/06/09, 08:03:39, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] Minor web site change?:

> > I suggest the following.
> > as we roll out new versions of the packages, no longer attempt
> > solaris 8
> > compile. compile for solaris 9+ only.

> Why? Usually it is no different packaging for Solaris 9 than for
> Solaris 8. Why drop Solaris 8 without the need?

Studio 12.

> If there is *any*
> problem on Solaris 8 it is of course ok to just release for Solaris 9.

Except it's not.  If a single useful package is missing it scuppers
your whole installation.  Due to the strong interdependence of the
CSW system we can't realistically pick and choose and offer partial
support.  Further, we should remain egalitarian and not decide
what is important to others, i.e. if just one package is missing we
no longer support Solaris 8.

James.