[csw-maintainers] Minor web site change?

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 25 15:26:45 CEST 2009

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Am 24.06.2009 um 19:08 schrieb Mike Watters:
>> I suggest the following.
>> as we roll out new versions of the packages, no longer attempt
>> solaris 8
>> compile. compile for solaris 9+ only.
>
> Why? Usually it is no different packaging for Solaris 9 than for
> Solaris 8. Why drop Solaris 8 without the need? If there is *any*
> problem on Solaris 8 it is of course ok to just release for Solaris 9.

This can be true for pre Solaris 8 packages also. In my opinion it's a
question of policy. More than 1 year ago we had this discussion, in a
more extreme conditions, and the promise was made that when Solaris 8 is
no more supported by SUN we drop also the support. Let it be known that
I'm really reluctant to use the SUN compiler until we cannot use the
last version of it, i.e. SUN Studio 12. May I suggest to have a ballot
on this issue?
--
Peter