[csw-maintainers] Package creation fails with filenames with whitespace

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 9 04:56:39 CET 2009

Roger Håkansson wrote:
> I'm trying to build the pcb-package but have stumbled upon a problem.
> Some of the files in the package have whitespace in their filename and
> when building the package (using gar v2) the prototype file gets
> generated wrong.
>
> The file "single-ended SCSI.png" ends up like this:
>
> f none /opt/csw/share/pcb/pcblib-newlib/connector/single-ended
> SCSI.png=/home/hson/dev/mgar/pkg/pcb/trunk/work/pkgroot/opt/csw/share/pcb/pcblib-newlib/connector
> /single-ended root bin hson csw
>
> Any clues on how to get around this problem?
>
> (The pcb-package is in svn if anyone want to see the problem "live")

I would patch the source code to change spaces to underscore for all references.
then call a post-extract to rename the files in the source tree.

this is probably the "hard way" to do it, but it works.

if you get a list of files that contain spaces, you can loop them and c
hange the files using something similar to the following:

==> Code <==
#!/bin/bash
oIFS=$IFS
IFS=\n
for file in filenamelist ;do
    f_file=$(echo $file | tr ' ' '_')
    perl -i -plne 's/$file/$f_file/' $(find $srcdir -type f -print)
    mv "$file" "$f_file"
done
IFS=$oIFS
==> Code <==

note this code may or may not work as is
the code is syntactically correct but will require you to fit it for your env
then extract a new clean copy of the source and create your patch.

- --
Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist