[csw-maintainers] [Fwd: [csw-devel] SF.net SVN: gar:[3630] csw/mgar/gar/v2/gar.pkg.mk]

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Sun Mar 8 16:09:21 CET 2009

Hi

I have added the following patch to prevent from have case where
dependencies are missing in the files which are generated automatically.
With this patch chechkpg is failing. This sounds better to me, since
there is an error at package building time instead of having missing deps.

I was wondering if we should not find a way to go around this.

According to my understandings ... GAR has two different "check".
PREREQUISITE_PKGS and REQUIRED_PKGS. PREREQUISITE_PKGS are used to check
requirement for build, and are used before building the package, and
REQUIRED_PKGS are used to generate automatically depend files. Then
after building the package, checkpkg make some controls, including the
validity of information in the depend file.

Current situation is that we cannot specify a package in the depend file
if is not installed on the machine.

I think it may be interesting to have a way to make dependencies against
packages which are not installed if these package are not used for
compilation. A typical case is java libs. I think the same kind of need
may exist for php stuff (packages not requiring a compilation stage like
C/C++ software may have).

Any thought about this ?

Cheers
W.