[csw-maintainers] Package creation fails with filenames with whitespace

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 9 15:34:26 CET 2009

Hi Roger,

Am 09.03.2009 um 04:33 schrieb Roger Håkansson:
> I'm trying to build the pcb-package but have stumbled upon a problem.
> Some of the files in the package have whitespace in their filename and
> when building the package (using gar v2) the prototype file gets
> generated wrong.
>
> The file "single-ended SCSI.png" ends up like this:
>
> f none /opt/csw/share/pcb/pcblib-newlib/connector/single-ended
> SCSI.png=/home/hson/dev/mgar/pkg/pcb/trunk/work/pkgroot/opt/csw/
> share/pcb/pcblib-newlib/connector
> /single-ended root bin hson csw
>
> Any clues on how to get around this problem?

This is a known limitation of prototype(4):
   <http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-1-4093362-1>
If you really must do this pick a character which escapes the space and
use a classfile to rename the file onthefly on package installation.
However, quite some utilities don't properly handle these types of
files,
so the already suggested replacing of spaces with '_' is usually a
good workaround.