[csw-maintainers] confused newbie

Wojtek Meler wmeler at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 12 10:26:00 CET 2009

There is quite a lot of docs with info what to do to add a package to
CSW, it is good, but it can be improved :).

I started with docs:

http://www.opencsw.org/standards/
http://www.opencsw.org/standards/welcome
http://www.opencsw.org/standards/core_principles

After that I decided to start building package with instructions from

http://www.opencsw.org/standards/pkg-walkthrough

GAR is metioned there as alternative method for maintainers, which I
read as "if you are advanced maintainer you could try to use it for your
own risk because it is cool".

I think it is easier to use GAR than following HOWTO instructions, and
it has more value, so why not to recommend GAR for all - you don't even
have to be maintainer to use it, as svn read access is for all.

There is also stated:

"Don't forget the "other" architecture(s) !
Now you get to do it ALL OVER AGAIN, on the other build machine!"

It forced me to build package on all systems which breaks the rule
"single package for all solaris revs of a cpu". I think that technote
from http://www.opencsw.org/standards/core_principles should be reminded
  there.

And what about hudson? shall I use it? how?

regards,
Wojtek