[csw-maintainers] Creation of users and groups added to cswclassutils

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Mar 15 21:27:43 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 08:45:33PM +0100, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
> 2) If CSWfoo already has configuration files directly beneath etc/
>    (this i the case for CSWdovecot) i as a package maintainer would feel
>    inclined to consolidate these into the etc/cswfoo directory as well.
>    On the other hand (and that feeling is stronger) i wouldn't want to
>    change configuration file locations as not to break things on package
>    updates.

I think that is inappropriate.
My rationale for that being:

/opt/csw/etc[/foo] (and /etc/opt/csw[/foo] )
  should be where conf files for *running* the software go.

In contrast,
/opt/csw/etc/CSWfoo

should be where conf files for configuring the *package* of it goes.

This is in my mind, for clarity's sake.
if someone is reading the standard documentation on the product, they will
look in /opt/csw/etc/foo, and see all the software-documented files they
expect. If on the other hand, they see a bunch of other things, they may
get confused why they are there.

I was thinking that files in /opt/csw/etc/CSWfoo, should only be applicable
to pkgadd/pkgrm time.
Hence, why in my opinion, the directory should be named after the PKG name.