[csw-maintainers] Creation of users and groups added to cswclassutils

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Mar 15 21:43:41 CET 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sun Mar 15 16:27:43 -0400 2009:
Hi Phil,

> In contrast,
> /opt/csw/etc/CSWfoo
>
> should be where conf files for configuring the *package* of it goes.
>
> This is in my mind, for clarity's sake.
> if someone is reading the standard documentation on the product, they will
> look in /opt/csw/etc/foo, and see all the software-documented files they
> expect. If on the other hand, they see a bunch of other things, they may
> get confused why they are there.
>
> I was thinking that files in /opt/csw/etc/CSWfoo, should only be applicable
> to pkgadd/pkgrm time.
> Hence, why in my opinion, the directory should be named after the PKG name.

I like this idea generally, for the reasons you've listed.  I wonder
though whether you think /opt/csw/etc/$something/CSWfoo would be
acceptable.  This would provided a single container for all
directories (packages) that want to use this facility without much
additional clutter in a spot that is clutter prone to begin with.  I'm
not sure what I'd suggest for $something though.  Maybe 'pkg' or
'packages' or 'cswconf'?

Is this a reasonable modification or do others see problems with it?

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.