[csw-maintainers] License for makefiles and other packages component

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 17 02:27:51 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:02:48PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> Just my 2 cents for the evening.  I really am ok with this if we want
> to blanket license (for simplicity or sanity or whatever) all
> descriptions under the same license as mGar itself (GPLv2).

that would be inappropriate. for multiple reasons, but also for reasons
that the Gnu foundation itself raises; pure GPL is unsuited for
documentation and non"code" entities. thats why the
"gnu free documentation license" or whatever was invented.

I would like to suggest that we dont flood the mailing list with "from
scratch" discussion, becuase it will make it very, VERY noisy, for the next
few weeks. I'd like maintainers to stay in the habit of actually reading
this list? :)

I would like to suggest that we table discussion, until Trygve chimes in on
what he remembers from the meeting. That would save a lot of time and
bandwidth. Otherwise, probably an IRC meeting would be best to get license
talks "Jumpstarted". Then we finalize things on the list?
(after posting logs of the irc session)