[csw-maintainers] python, py, pyc, pyo

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Mar 19 22:01:09 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:35:12PM +0100, William Bonnet wrote:
> Debian provides only .py files. Should i add also .pyo and .pyc ?

ehhh.... you have to conference with the python maintainer.

Adding maintainers list for a broader discussion, as well.

There is a way to make that happen nicely... thing is, you have to plan it
properly. python really wants those files compiled "some time".
The question then becomes by what, when, and where.
By the maintainer of individual packages, and shipped with?
or compiled at pkgadd time?
or.....?

You have to make sure that python will compile it to an appropriate place.
thing is, there may be variations on what is "best";
It may be "best" in some situations to compile to /opt/csw/libXXXX, but
OTHER situations, to compile to /var/opt/csw/libXXXXX.

In other words, we may want to have python support some kind of
site-local location override for this sort of thing.

I vaguely recall a mention of this issue on one of the opensolaris mailing
lists. probably the pkg-discuss one.
It was centered around IPS packaging, but the principles are the same.