[csw-maintainers] Package incompatibility, any suggestions?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 24 17:13:24 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 02:52:25PM +0000, James Lee wrote:
> On 24/03/09, 14:09:54, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote
> > well, it WOULD be possible to force the new lib, to have a new SONAME
> > of "libnet.so.1.1"
>
> The existing software links to libnet.so, eg:
>
> $ dump -Lv /opt/csw/bin/curl | grep libnet
> [7]	NEEDED          libnet.so

Oh, drat. i thought it was using "libnet.so.0".

libXXX.so is a special case.

it would appear as though there is a metric boatload of packages that
acutally use libnet. (I'm rather surprised at some of them...

 "gpdf" ??? What's up with that??
and gedit??

normally, i would suggest forcing dependant packages to be recompiled, to
match release of a new package.
But there's just too many to do that in this case.

Wow, these libnet people are incompetant.
If the versions are incompatible, it should be a major REV bump!!!
sheesh.

Sadly.... I dont see much choice in what we can do.
We cant just break 30 packages... but at the same time, we need to be
able to recompile things against the newer stuff!
in a clean, sane manner that doesnt require ludicrous backflips for
maintainers.

I think we're going to have to make a nasty 'exception' for this.
I think we're going to have the package have the old one in
/opt/csw/lib/libnet.so

but have a forced SONAME for
/opt/csw/lib/libnet.so.1

and on TOP of that, I think our build machines will have to "break" the
package, and do

rm /opt/csw/lib/libnet.so
ln -s libnet.so.1 /opt/csw/lib/libnet.so